Monday 26 December 2016

NEARLY BEING THE LONE RANGER: A NEW POEM...

I Was Nearly The Lone Ranger…

I was left-handed and toy holsters were usually made For those who favoured their right,
But I craved some authenticity
And became rather stubborn and contrite…

The Lone Ranger though, sported two hand-guns,
Plus a flawless outfit and a dark mask,
But to find a double-holster for little old me
Would be an unenviable parental task…

They succeeded though and so it was 
That I wore both guns with cool pride,
Lifting the left one more regularly of course,
Leaving my smoking right hand at my side…

No mask, no horse called Silver, “Hi-ho!”
No Tonto, no cries of “Kemosabe!” (faithful friend)-
Merely a cowboy who fired at the woman next door,
With an only child’s lonely hours to spend… 

Pete Ray
December 2016



Being nearly the Lone Ranger. 
I just wanted to be a ‘left-hand gun’… 
Tonto was the masked man’s trusty friend, whose horse was called scout, which was interesting because ‘kemosabe’ also meant ‘trusty scout’, I believe…
I pretended to shoot Floss next door, as she powered off towards Kitsland Road shops… 

She never knew… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.