Sunday 25 December 2016

VISITING THE MEMORIAL TO THE 'CHRISTMAS TRUCE' SOCCER GAME AT ALREWAS...

TRUCE?

A simple enough icon:
Carved hands gripped in strife’s peace,
Sleeves confirming an equality,
An understanding, a tension’s release…

A simple enough meaning:
Carved hands shake on a mere truce,
Grasp knowing the reality,
When the next shells will cut death loose…

Pete Ray
October 2016




This memorial at the National Arboretum was special, for I believe that my grandfather was posted to the region in December 1914, with the Royal Warwickshires. I have no idea whether he witnessed any of the handshakes, or the alleged football match…
The badge on the memorial’s British sleeve is a Royal Warwickshire emblem.

I never met either of my grandfathers… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.