Thursday 29 March 2018

'CAN I HAVE ANOTHER ONE?' A NEW POEM BASED UPON LEIGH LAMBERT'S PAINTING...

‘Can I Have Another One?’



I could never ask for an ice-cream,
Would not dare,
Unless my mum made a tentative suggestion
When a van’s jaunty, scratchy tune
Was heard in a nearby street:
Then I was certainly interested
And would race from the back gate
To trace the sound’s progress,
All the while anticipating a treat
From which no child of the 1950s was immune;
But I could never ask my dad, or dream,
Would not dare…

And thus my lonely greyscale childhood
And smoking chimneys and metal bins for ashes
And go-carts and the fear of adulthood
Repeatedly return to my mind in nostalgic flashes…

Pete Ray
March 2018

Looking at Leigh Lambert’s painting ‘Can I Have Another One’ and remembering what it was like for me.

I was not allowed to ask.
Mum might say she would like an ice-cream, dad might then agree and I would quickly rush into action to make sure we didn’t miss the van…


(Shard End, Birmingham…)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.