Monday 4 March 2019

MY NEW POEM BASED LOOSELY UPON ANN COWAN'S SKETCHBOOK ARTWORK...

Looking Into The Coal Fire, Looking Into The East Lothian Seascape…



Winter evenings were cold, then,
So that a coal fire blazed,
Crackling and snapping,
As flames slithered over damp slack
And jabbed jagged shards
Amber on black,
To mesmerise and fascinate:
Fossil fuel thus razed
To lumps of ash in the grate…

I saw things there, imagined
Caverns of destructive hell,
Until my eyes burned,
Rendering my mind befuddled and dazed…

Deluded, I stare from a shivering shore
Into a seascape, a furore,
A miasma of blues,
A confusion of hues,
Drawing me into a chaotic core:
A stormy intrusion of heavy cloud
Dragging crude, angular rocks a-sailing…

Breakwater wedge in golden shroud
Drives like a shard impaling
And harboured tide fusses and splashes,
As its myriad patchwork mercilessly thrashes… 

Pete Ray
March 2019

Mixed media sketchbook work by Ann Cowan, inspired by the East Lothian coastline.

Reminded me of looking into a coal fire when I was a kid and seeing things…


I saw things in the artwork too, things which the artist surely wouldn’t agree with but it is what it is…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.