Friday 20 January 2023

THE WINTER BEACH WALK: RELUCTANCE TO ACCEPTANCE... (Scuttling down to the sea in Mawgan Porth to bodyboard in November...)

 The Winter Beach Walk: Reluctance To Acceptance…

(Scuttling down to the sea in Mawgan Porth to bodyboard in November…)


I want to. Yet I don’t.

In truth, I have to.

Skirting the widening edges of the River Menalhyl,

As its impinging channel spreads across the soft-sand beach

And distorts the haven with its rushes through the Vale of Lanherne,

I plod on. I need to,

The shallows to reach…


I doubt myself. I trust the surf.

In truth, I have to.

Nearing the fraught shallows of the Atlantic’s swell,

The raw gale bellows, my shivering face to reach

 And contorts my vision with its lashes, cruel and stern.

I wade in. I need to,

To the surf’s wild screech…


My attention then is diverted to a piercing cry and a sudden flash

Of black, white and red, as an oystercatcher skims

The rolling waves across the tousling sea in a frenzied dash.

Enthralled, I stop and share the moment, as all fear dims…


I wanted to. I didn’t need to.

In truth, I did so.

Bodyboarding the fast, engulfing waves was a thrill,

The wild, grappling breakers hurled my board to breach 

And ride the tide with many a hoisting twist and turn.

I rattled on. I had to,

The joy unleashed…       


Pete Ray

20th January 2023



Unsure whether the leg pain from a damaged left hip would hinder any opportunity to bodyboard in November 2022, I was dubious about the walk down Mawgan Porth’s beach to reach the tide, which was on the turn.


The wind and rain swirled within an icy cold gale and I felt reluctant.


And then the oystercatcher flew across the tide above my head. That has happened a number of times to me at Mawgan Porth and that has become the second of a number of sights which have placated me and filled my life with an emotional pleasure.



It was as if the bird had felt my reluctance and simply conveyed some kind of acceptance to deep within me…




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.