Friday 8 March 2024

RAVEN LURKING... (MY NEW POEM ABOUT A CHARACTER IN PORTHTOWAN...)

 Raven Lurking…



It clung to scaffolding on a construction site

Near the top of a Porthtowan cliff, as the village awoke.

It glanced at me with a measure of disdain in its tone 

But seemed stubbornly unwilling to take flight

And held its perch, even when flippantly I spoke

A pointless greeting, as I trudged forth, windblown.


When I returned from trekking, it lurked once more

At cliff’s edge, cleaning its powerful bill upon moss.

It turned its head to profile, knife-beak part covered by down, 

A veritable gargoyle, proud, overseeing the shore,

Presiding, unshakeable, letting me know who was boss.

Resilient, it watched me watch it, with a reproachful frown…



Pete Ray

7th March 2024…




It was there at the cliff edge on the following two mornings also…



What a character…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.