Wednesday 19 June 2024

EDGY OYSTERCATCHERS... (My new poem about Mousehole, Cornwall...)

 Edgy Oystercatchers…



A neap tide ran cold evening infiltrations between huge

Boulders and strewn rocks upon Mousehole’s shore, 

Its incursions not quite reaching a protective granite wall.

Slick, splashed stone ten metres away remained uncovered

By the hesitant rushes of sea water and yet I discovered

A pair of fidgety oystercatchers there and I was instantly in thrall

 And silently statuesque, despite the ocean’s cursing furore-

A captive audience of their poking bills, strikingly rouge… 


Pete Ray

19th June 2024…



Unperturbed by my presence on the granite wall, the two oystercatchers prodded on until I left them in peace to search out late pickings between the rocks…

THE GRANITE WALL IS SEEN AT BOTTOM LEFT, ONE OF THE OYSTERCATCHERS IS IN THE SEAWEED...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.