Monday 26 March 2018

STILTS: A NEW POEM...

Stilts



I wonder now whether it had been
Something to do with a circus clown,
Or perhaps a cousin had been bought a pair,
Painted to hide hewn wood’s natural brown…

I wonder now when and why I asked
For my own stilts upon which to play;
Perhaps my working class father wanted
His own woodworking prowess to display…

Recycled wood was one Sunday utilised,
A wedge screwed into each upright,
So that twelve inches my feet were raised
And I staggered, I stuttered, hesitant and tight…

Recycled wood a few times was played upon,
Until I had mastered the balance and the stride;
I was temporarily taller but undeniably bored
But too frightened those negative thoughts to confide… 

I visited Folly Farm years later with my own kids,
A Welsh adventure destination;
I was soon alerted to stilts which lay on the ground
And for me there was no procrastination…

I clambered onto the wooden legs,
Like a circus clown aloft I strode;
I had taught myself the rudiments as a kid
And those skills now showed and flowed… 

Pete Ray
March 2018

The stilts made by my dad were OK but only until I could walk on them. 
I even kicked balls with them: Stilt-ball, I suppose.

They lay untouched for a long time in my dad’s bric-a-brac shed.

On holiday in Wales with my kids in the 1990s, my kids spotted stilts for use and I was encouraged to have a go. I managed. Few others did.

One moment of joy…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.