Wednesday 17 April 2019

AN INTERVIEW WITH NEWENT TOWN'S HAYDEN RUST & A PREVIEW OF FRIDAY'S GAME v CHELTENHAM SARACENS...

Hayden Rust of Newent Town plays his final home game on Good Friday. The match is against Cheltenham Saracens.

Newent lie 9th in the Hellenic League Division 1 West with 6 wins, 3 draws and 11 losses on the season so far.

Their goal difference is -23 and the team currently has 21 points. Last time out, the lads managed a 1-2 win at Cirencester Development, with Zack Blood and Sanchez Grange scoring.

Hayden Rust has made 16 appearances this season.

Overall top scorers are Grange with 9 and Dorian Colling with 8.

Saracens lie 3rd in the league with 14 wins, 1 draw and 5 losses, whilst amassing a goal difference of +49 and a points haul of 43.

The team won 1-2 at Almondsbury last time out, with Kai Mahon and Harlie Price scoring the goals. 

Price leads the overall scoring chart with 32, whilst Adam Loveridge has netted 25 times.



Hayden Rust reacts to his time in non-league football:

“In my junior years I played for Hemel Hempstead, until moving to Newent when I was 10. Then I played in every youth age group, progressing into the men’s first team at 19. I had a short spell at Pegasus Juniors too.

Fine players I have played with include: 
Stuart Hall, who was the most naturally gifted footballer I ever played with. 
Harry Glover was so dominant in the air and Alex Goode always pulled off saves you wouldn’t believe.

I think the toughest games (apart from pre-season friendlies) were always the local derby matches, particularly when there was something to play for. Ruardean I would say mainly…. 

A fine team of players I have played with during my career:

GK - Alex Goode: easily the best ‘keeper I ever played with, who saved us on too many occasions with outstanding goalkeeping.
DEF - James Febery: the best defender I had the privilege to play with, who had everything in his locker.
DEF - Carl Thorp: an old-school centre-half who could play. A leader and a winner…
DEF - Ben Stringer: probably had my best centre-half pairing with him, many moons ago.
DEF - Myself: as was instructed to include (lucky!)
MID - Stuart Hall: as I said earlier, the best player I ever played with and purely for banter if nothing else…
MID - John Gardner: could run a game all by himself when he wanted to; naturally gifted leftie.
MID - Jacob Nutting: absolute winner; nothing he can’t do on a football pitch.
MID - Alex Allard: played on and off with Alex for 20 years; another naturally gifted, intelligent player and a pleasure to play with.
MID - Paul Mason: for the years he didn’t struggle with injury, he was literally unplayable.
FOR - Patrick Gibbs: not sure how he kept the ball on the end of his toes at times; goalscorer and great lad to have around.
SUBS: 
1) Taylor Cordell: has the world at his feet in my opinion; oozes class.
2) Dan Newman: just for his heroic tackles, although I hate to say it.
3) Dorian Colling: Goalscorer, great work ethic. 
4) Justin Halfpenny: for one goal that won us the league, if nothing else. Great lad on/off the pitch.
5) Shaun Stanley: Great lad at both ends of the pitch!

The best coaches/managers I have been involved with:
Paul Wilband is the best manager I have worked with. Personally I think I had my best playing days whilst he was the Gaffer. In more recent times I’ve enjoyed playing for Ben Stringer and Martin Elton.

I coached a Newent Youth team for 3 years and enjoyed the role. I enjoy the tactical side to the game and hopefully, when the time is right, I’ll move on to men’s football if the right option arises.
I think I’d be an honest coach. I believe it’s in everyone’s best interest to be straight down the line; people either buy in to what you’re saying then, or they don’t. At least you know when people are on board that they’re 100% committed. 
I think it’s important to have different characters in the team, who each bring something different, but collectively all want to show determination and fight to achieve the same thing. 
I like to see counter-attacking football, but you definitely need the right balance.


The crazy characters I have played with are obviously Stuart Hall, Harry Glover and Alex Goode!

Since playing for Newent we have achieved 3 promotions, twice as league winners. We won two League Cups (whatever they are called) and reached two County Cup Finals. 
Newent is where I’ve been happiest playing football, for it’s my home club. I was lucky enough to be skipper for approximately ten years. 
I wish the young lads all the best for the future. 
Oh, and as for a strange story, I had some fish left in my football bag which stank! Courtesy of Stuart Hall and Lee Roberts…”

Cheers…


Hayden Rust, Newent Town…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.