Tuesday 30 April 2019

THE GREY: A NEW POEM ABOUT WORLD WAR ONE...

The Grey



The silence gnawed at my resolve,
Prodding at my erstwhile mettle
And I was thus unnerved, my valour perturbed,
Yet I stood my ground, as expected,
Just a number in the fodder
That was infantry…

The greyness bleached at the woods,
Invoking a spectral sparsity
But I was quite alert, my senses pert,
Thus I stood my ground, as instructed,
A dispensable number in the waste
That was infantry… 

A whistle blew.
And hampered by equipment
But by a tot of rum fired,
My expendable frame
Scrambled from a forward trench
Towards the charred, scarred landscape.

Then shells flew
Through smoke’s spew,
Disorientating, exasperating
And soon bodies lay askew.

Yet this number plodded on
Until a shallow crater was in view,
Into which my bleeding body I threw
And I lay, alone, one of a meagre few.

Alive, within The Grey,
Afraid beneath a stripped, blanched tree
I suffered the lot reserved 
For the infantry…

Pete Ray
April 2019

A poem written after looking at Sarah Ball’s painting which features grey and trees…

The landscape made me think of World War One.

And I was in it.

And I was replaceable.

I was, after all, infantry… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.