Thursday 11 July 2019

'BEING IN MORWENSTOW, ME TOO': A NEW POEM ABOUT CORNWALL...

Being In Morwenstow, Me Too…

I wondered whether he too exulted
In such surroundings,
For it seemed that the power of his church
Had cut a swathe, a valley
Between the heights of cliffs
And in this place, I too halted…

Then I extended my search
For Hawker’s Hut, a clifftop perch,
Which the Reverend too found inspiring,
Fuelling his Victorian verse and terse
Observations of trade and fishing;
And as I stood before his hovel,
Where martins, swifts and swallows swooped and soared
About me, I too found the view novel,
Mesmerising and energising,
As the ocean far below over rocky outcrops roared… 

Pete Ray
July 2019

Visiting Morwenstow, near Bude…


The Reverend Robert Hawker spent many Victorian years at Morwenstow and was a bit of a legend, I guess.

His hut overlooking the sea is National Trust owned and worth a visit.


He wrote poetry and was apparently something of an eccentric… 

He was buried in Plymouth, after converting to Catholicism there later in life.


Rectory Farm at Morwenstow is a really fine tea-room and the food there is so very good…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.