Thursday 7 September 2023

THE ROUNDABOUT ROUTE... (The Temple Balsall badgers...)

 The Roundabout Route…



Apparently the badger watched me stumble away

After I had sprinkled tasty titbits upon the bare

 Parched earth near its sett.

I turned too late and saw no sign of the secretive

Nocturnal beast, as the sun lowered and sultry heat

Stifled the copse into a clammy discomforting closeness. 


Suddenly the badger re-appeared, having skirted its way

Behind me, round about and through undergrowth, unaware

That I tarried near an adjacent sett.

I observed its foraging, wary and attentive,

Before it retraced its circuitous route, replete,

Yet still it fed rapaciously on scraps in the evening stillness…  



Pete Ray

7th September 2023  


Three badgers appeared which looked like two adults and a younger one. 


They fed on the scattered food, despite the passing of vehicles on the lane.


Again, though, fewer badgers emerged than at this time last year…


Sad… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.