Sunday 8 January 2017

ST MARGARET'S CHURCH, WARD END IN BIRMINGHAM...

St Margaret’s Church, Ward End…

Functional, no battlements here,
No gargoyles, no historic stone;
Merely plain, dull and austere,
Its outer skin weathered and prone
To mould and algae: an unkempt shell,
Ageing, unrestored and stark;
Yet a place to go to stave off hell
And hear a churchman’s bite and bark…

Inside though, despite its plaster peeling,
Stained glass glowed with light and life;
Its memorials enticed me down and kneeling
To honour Great War sacrifice and strife…

I thought then of my parents, married there
And of my own Christening in this damp old place:
I stood contrite and saddened at its unbridled wear,
Wondering at its once all empowering grace…

Pete Ray
January 2017

Visited St Margaret’s, Birmingham in 2011 before its makeover and took a few images of the place.
A sad day for me, although I was also kind of proud too…













No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.