Monday 31 July 2017

THE BATTLE OF PASSCHENDAELE BEGAN ON JULY 31ST 1917...

Just Like Me

Skidding feet first,
Caked boots were scraping stones,
Gouging at mud
And channelling through awful debris;
Then downwards over a ledge
And propelling me into a hole
With a thud.

Gripping hands taut.
Stretcher sliding his snapped bones,
Spilling his blood
And scattering him in dreadful chaos-
Then silence, nerves on edge:
From shelling, this frightful hell
Was a flood.

And then I saw them:
Huns, thankfully dead;
Yet neither wore a brush
Upon a square-jawed head.
And neither was a weakling,
Blinking secretive eyes
Behind cartoon spectacles;
For to my surprise
Both of them, conscripts
As far as I could see,
Were my age and my complexion
And might easily have been
Me…

Pete Ray

Just thought of being a new recruit in World War I, bearing a stretcher, skidding like a baseball batter getting to a base, slithering into a shell-hole and spilling an injured man, but noticing two dead German soldiers. 

They were not as depicted in newspapers and propaganda but were actually just like me...


TYPICAL SHELL-HOLES...

PATERNAL GRANDFATHER...

MATERNAL GRANDFATHER...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.