Monday 12 December 2022

LOOKIN' AT ME... (Meeting a rook at Taunton Deane services...)

 Lookin’ At Me…



It was icy cold in the parking lot

As I hurried to the car 

Clutching a warm lunch. 

(OK, it was a McDonald’s, filling but crass…)

Yet a curious rook seemingly knew what I had got

And had swooped in from afar

For a spillage and a possible brunch,

Tarrying near the passenger door, bold as brass…


Its heavy, scarred, grey and ugly bill

Shifted this way and that, its feet never still;

But the scavenger realised there would be no gleanings

And looked straight at me with comical eyes, spookily pleading…



Pete Ray

12th December 2022


This bird simply looked at me and waited for a morsel or two on the parking lot at the Taunton Deane services, M5. 


Its huge beak was seemingly cemented on to its face and its eyes were so expressive that I wished then to have a hand puppet of a scavenging rook…


What japes I would have…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.