Saturday 10 February 2024

EXHILARATE, ANTICIPATE... (My new poem inspired by a Michelle Paradis painting...)

 Exhilarate, Anticipate…

(Inspired by Michelle Paradis’ painting, ‘Exhilarate’…)



I felt like I had been there, bodyboard tucked

Beneath an arm, gradually nearing the fussy approach

Of a tousling, invigorating tide, twisting turquoise 

Out of a deep, choppy blue. And I have often hesitated,

Forming images perhaps of rays rising from the deep, 

Or maybe of a sea-beast’s widened jaws, bucked

Menacingly towards my gaze, daring me to broach

Its demonic gape with a deafening, wrathful noise. 

Foaming at the mouth, its gall has curiously fascinated

And lured me into its thrashing swirls, inexorably steep…


Pete Ray

10th February 2024…


Hues of blue, paling to white entrails…


I liked the contrasts and I could see terrifying, yet enticing jaws in the swell. 


This happens on occasions in north Cornwall…


Emotive painting…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.