Tuesday 8 November 2016

'RAIN ON THE BEACH': A POEM ABOUT MAWGAN PORTH...

Rain On the Beach

Needed to get away.
Partial concern only though.
But that coastal rain was
Too uncomfortable to bear.
Fine, vertical, shower-like,
It warmed my sea-soaked body
As I scrambled belongings together
And dad rose from a chair.

He stumbled, twisted
And inexplicably tumbled
But that coastal rain soon
 Forced him into the beach-tent,
Lodged between my daughters.
He paused, motionless,
Curled on all-fours,
Stubborn, arched, his back bent.

I shrouded him in waterproof,
Zipped it, knotted the hood
But that coastal rain had
Worsened as he stood waiting,
Clutching a football under one arm.
I secured the windbreak,
Sand sticking like barnacles,
The torrent saturating.

I dismantled the tent, 
Wet sand weighing it down
But that coastal rain soon
Cooled me off and T-shirt stuck
To my skin as I folded,
Rolled and squeezed the tent 
Tightly into its bag with sundries
And I led father into the evacuation ruck.

Patiently we trudged in unrelenting sand,
Across store-frontages and soaking concrete
But that coastal rain then
Became a deluge and punished us,
As we trod tarmac.
Cars passed, occupants smug,
Distance never shortening,
Seemingly. No stress, little fuss…

Pete Ray
12th August 2004




My dad on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.