Friday 29 May 2020

GETTING A NICKNAME...

Getting A Nickname

It rained.
It began just as the group walked 
Away from the stadium in Highfield Road
And he, preceding 
The two tall lads, was leading 
A troop downhill
Towards a theatre, where his car was parked;
He then pulled the hood 
Of a blue top made from towelling
Over his head, narked 
At the change in the weather, 
For persistently, 
It rained…

It drizzled.
It continued as the troop descended,
 Discussing another Aston Villa victory
And he, striding
Was taunted by the lads, deriding 
His smaller stature,
Approaching the theatre: “He looks like a pixie
With that pulled up hood…”
In the blue top he was initially scowling,
Then in laughter barked
His assent, despite the wet weather,
For insistently,
It drizzled…

Pete Ray
May 27th 2020

The two teenaged brothers would become my nephews-in-law and both were tall.
THE PIX AT HOME, KIND OF...

Whenever we drove to Coventry City to see Villa, the Lions seemed destined not to lose and on this one occasion, as the rain began I yanked the hood of my blue top over my hair.
ME FAR LEFT, NEXT TO SKINNY PAUL, WHOSE BROTHER, FAT MART IS FAR RIGHT...

The lads thought I looked like a pixie from behind and from then on I was known as ‘The Pix’…
WHERE WE HAD SAT AT HIGHFIELD ROAD, COVENTRY'S OLD GROUND...

Compared to the lads’ nicknames of ‘Skinny’ and ‘Fat’, I reckoned I had got off rather lightly…
A TREASURED POSSESSION...
I’m known as The Pix to this day… 






  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.