Sunday 31 May 2020

OYSTERCATCHERS: A POEM TO ACCOMPANY JAN WHITE'S PAINTING...

Oystercatchers Skimmed As I Surfed…
(Jan White's fine painting illustrates the scene)

The morning sun
Offered no warmth,
Merely gleam,
As tousled, wild sea, still in the throes of a spent storm,
Built layers at low tide:
Enticing, invigorating.

The swirling shallows
Extended no welcome,
Just coldness,
Upon vulnerable feet, still warm from a stern march:
Spoilt shivers of previous tides
Embracing, ingratiating.

The hurling surf
Spared no mercy, 
Merely thrust
And flung my board, still in the grip of tense hands:
Whipped down onto dying tide,
Racing, elating…

The oystercatchers flew east,
Mad breakers crested,
Just flashes of white and black:
Slim, red bills keen,
For my cold eyes a feast,
My attention arrested:
Just streaks on rip’s attack,
Solely by me seen… 


Pete Ray
(AT MAWGAN PORTH IN HAPPIER DAYS...)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.