Tuesday 16 November 2021

SHE LAY DEAD... (WRITTEN ABOUT A TEMPLE BALSALL BADGER...)

 She Lay Dead…



She lay. Becalmed. Lifeless.

Weak eyes shut. Hopeless. 

She had bled. Harmed. Deceased.

Blood dry on the lane, creased.

I hurt. Disarmed. Powerless.

Weeping eyes wet. Humourless.

I seethed. Alarmed. Stressed.

Faeces hard on the lane. Compressed.


Her slim face was quite perfection,

Deserving of better protection

From the random culling

Of a driver’s licence for killing.

A short life rejected.

Preserved, then subjected

To a vehicle’s licence to speed

And an ignorance of wildlife to heed… 


Crouching, I ran the backs of my fingers

Across the left cheek of death, exposed.

Yet still the despair and pain lingers,

Despite the salt tears readily disclosed…


In Coventry, later during the same day,

The eve of Remembrance Sunday,

The Last Post was performed…

Poignant, for just a few miles away

Another death had occurred on that Saturday

And I choked. And thus the emotion swarmed…



Pete Ray

15th November 2021


A female badger, likely from the sett I had been watching for some months, was discovered dead on the roadside in Temple Balsall on Saturday 13th November 2021.



I am still upset by the wanton speeds folks tend to drive along narrow country lanes, albeit with limits, in this case 40mph…




The Last Post was played at the football match between AFC Coventry Rangers and Castle Vale Town later that day.




I struggled with it… 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.