Sunday 11 September 2022

WATCHING & WAITING AS THE SUN GLINTED AMBER... (My new poem about the Temple Balsall badgers...)

 Watching & Waiting As The Sun Glinted Amber



Blood oozed from a puncture wound

Behind my right knee, courtesy

Of a wire’s barb, smarting, yet surely detected

By a badger, statuesque upon higher ground,

Peering through the undergrowth, grassy

And by the amber gleam of a setting sun illuminated.


Blood congealed around the wound

Upon my right calf, sorely,

From the rusted barb, accidentally injected

By my own carelessness. I made no sound,

But watching, waiting and hiding, surely,

The badger’s confidence in an approach was affected…


Pete Ray

11th September 2022


Two different badgers seemed alerted to my presence by the cut and fresh blood on my leg…


Maybe…


The partly camouflaged watcher reminded me of a predatory big cat, hiding behind tall grass in an African sunset…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.