Monday 25 September 2017

RAUNDS TOWN'S CHRIS JONES COMMENTS ON HIS TEAM'S FA VASE DEFEAT AT GODMANCHESTER ROVERS...

CHRIS JONES, RAUNDS TOWN'S GOALKEEPER REPORTS ON HIS TEAM'S FA VASE LOSS AT GODMANCHESTER ROVERS ON SATURDAY...



"We headed to Godmanchester in the Fa Vase off the back of a good run of form, despite a loss midweek in the League Cup to Pinchbeck, a game a number of us, myself included were rested for. 


We didn’t know too much about Godmanchester but we went into it very confident we could win and confidence is something we are never in short supply of... 

We’ve got some big characters in the changing room these days and it’s only a positive for the club. 
We came into the game with some big defensive absentees which meant the gaffa had some decisions to make for the starting lineup. 


Personally I felt we started poorly, struggled to string passes together  and didn’t create much for the first 10-15 mins. Godmanchester to their credit looked quick up top but didn’t quite have the finished article to capitalise. To our credit though our back line defended well. 

I personally only had one save to make from close range and the other couple of chances they had were poorly dispatched. 25-30 mins went by and the changing point in the game for the team and myself arrived. 

I found myself having to come out and try to block an attempt from the Godmanchester forward just outside the box and I’ll be the first to admit I had my hands up too high but when the ball hit me square on the nose, to the point it actually started bleeding, I couldn’t help but feel we were hard done by. 

I’m fully aware that the referee didn’t give the decision but the linesman decided he needed to. It was the wrong one in my eyes but I duly departed. I was devastated for my team though, first and foremost. 


I missed the remaining minutes of the first-half as I was sulking in the changing rooms. 

During the second-half, down to ten men and one of our most influential playmakers now in goals, we set up to try and make things hard for them and not concede and possibly sneak a cheeky goal through our ability to counter attack quickly. 

The plan was working and we missed  a golden chance to take the lead through our youngest and newest member of the team James ‘Bruce’ Lea. This lad is class and has been playing for our reserves until a couple weeks ago. The lads love him, his ability is unreal and his confidence for such a young lad is on a different level. Unfortunately, due the state of the pitch, although it had looked OK from a first view, it wasnt the smoothest and caused the young lad to fire over the target instead of slotting home. 

The deadlock was broken when we turned off for a couple of minutes and allowed  a simple cross to come in and an unmarked header put the home team 1-0 up. To this point we’d defended brilliantly, stand in 'keeper Ports had been really good considering I’d never seen him put the gloves on. 

We finished the game firmly on top, created some very good chances that either required a good save from the home goalie or went agonisingly wide. 

Watching from the sidelines was tough but I was very proud of the lads and the way they adapted to the situation. I wouldn’t be alone in feeling that we could have won this game. I think we’ve played better sides in our league. Yes, Godmanchester are a good side but I can’t help but feel had we had all our squad available on the day and the dubious sending off hadn’t happened, we probably would have come away with the win. 


All that aside good luck to them in the next round and for their season. We move on to league action on Tuesday night and look to carry on where we left off. 


The hospitality was good, the food was good and it seems to be becoming a standard thing that we out-drink the home team in their own clubhouse, something we seem to be doing regularly, win or lose. 


Credit to all the lads for their performance and as their Captain, I’m immensely proud of them. 

We go again... 

Ya ships ya..."

CHRIS JONES, GOALKEEPER & SKIPPER OF RAUNDS TOWN FC...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.