Monday 18 October 2021

ANONYMITY... (WATCHING A BADGER IN WARWICKSHIRE...)

 Anonymity…



Distant rumblings of motorway usage,

Barely audible, yet persistent, scarred

The general silence, occasionally scored

By a robin’s indignant protestations

Which failed to reveal my anonymity.

I loitered, one tense shoulder leaning

Against beech bark and barely breathing

As a deep amber sun barred

The October sky beyond the privacy

Of tall trees, which occasionally floored 

Wilting, loosened leaves as garbage,

Scorning my anonymity…


A badger, leading no entourage,

Keen, yet on constant guard,

Dragged a crust of white bread, a hoard

Into its underground reservation,

Ignoring my uncomfortable anonymity.

I teetered, one leg stiffening

Upon a tuft of hard mud, breathing

In autumn, which in no way marred

The watching. Thus my audacity

To a badger's world was largely ignored.

Faltering, it demurred, wise and sage

To preserve my anonymity… 


Pete Ray

18th October 2021



The distant hum of traffic, a piercing, protesting robin and one cautious badger failed to shake my anonymity on a cool autumn evening in Warwickshire… 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.