Friday 16 December 2016

'RACEWAY': A POEM ABOUT TOY CARS FROM MY CHILDHOOD...

Raceway

Dinky Toys
Predominantly,
For anything else would surely have been
Sacrilege.
Saloons and lorries,
Mostly
And racing cars, random buses and military vehicles:
Such carnage…

Gritty slabbed
Pathway
Offered me a Raceway of kinds and
Patience.
Pushing each one:
Daresay
Not a fair test, with a vocal commentary.
Such impudence…

Maserati, Ferrari,
Favourites…
Numbers 9 and 5, always 1st and 2nd
Respectively.
The sluggish remainder,
Also-rans, 
Finishing down the pecking order
Quite routinely…

Red, blue/yellow,
Memorable.
Casually given to a ‘deserving cause’,
Thoughtlessly.
But recent replacements,
Collectables,
Have rekindled childhood pleasures,
Quite self-indulgently…

Pete Ray

MASERATI...

FERRARI...


MY MUM STANDING ON THE RACEWAY...

TOP 3: COOPER BRISTOL, HWM & ALFA ROMEO;
MIDDLE: TALBOT LAGO;
BOTTOM: MASERATI, FERRARI...

CUNNINGHAM SPORTS CAR...

Racing my toy vehicle collection down the rear garden path was a time-consuming exercise but I loved it, despite the fact that my Maserati would finish 1st and Ferrari 2nd, every time. Odd that... My dad gave all my toy vehicles away to a 'deserving cause', despite the fact that I had asked for my six Dinky racing cars not to be included, but I now have all of my favourites again, thanks to Hatton Country World's antiques area a few years back and also eBay… 

It’s what I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.