Sunday 19 January 2020

DANNY JANES REFLECTS ON PLAYING, THE FECKENHAM MATCH THIS WEEK & HIS OWN FUTURE...

This is Danny's second season playing since he took a break from management. Is he still enjoying it?
“Of course I am, it is great to be back playing and enjoying the playing side of the game. Last season was so enjoyable because of the success we had, winning the league and getting Alcester promoted. To pick up the Manager’s Player of the Season award and to captain the side was an honour, especially in my first season back after having such a long break from playing. 
I also enjoyed my time at Earlswood before I joined Alcester at Christmas. It was a pleasure to play for Ade Luxton and to also captain the side. This season is really enjoyable because of the way the management team run the club. It is as professional as it gets and we have a good side. I am especially enjoying playing with the younger players and hopefully I can help them to develop their games.”
How does Danny think this season has gone so far?
“I think we have done really well so far and have put a few good runs together. We are right in the mix for the top three and to potentially push for promotion, depending on the league re-structure. We have had some tough games when we have picked up points, Northfield and Boldmere away, also Solihull at home. 
Last week was disappointing at Coton Green though, as we played nowhere near the level we can perform at, but that is down to the players and we must take responsibility for the result. We need to keep picking up points and continue to focus on ourselves. Everyone talks about other results and it is hard not to keep an eye on them, but ultimately it is all about us and what we do.”

What does Danny think the atmosphere is like within the squad? The club has made a few new signings too, so how have they settled in?
“I would say it is the best squad I have been involved in when discussing player attitude, application and commitment. We have no egos in the squad and that makes such a difference. We have a group of honest players who admit when they have not performed and this has underpinned our season so far in my opinion. When we are behind or things are not going our way, the players pull together and everyone works for each other. 
The attitudes of the players are spot on, there are strong relationships between the players and this is transmitted onto the pitch. The signings the management team have added have really strengthened us. Luke Williams has been fantastic since he has joined and is a player I highly rate from my time as Alcester Manager. Steve Roche was a massive coup for the club and he is easily one of the best technical players in the league. Luis Sone was signed at the start of the season but without him we would not be where we are. 
For me the young players have been the catalysts of our success: Sacha Everard, Mike O’Regan, Dan Atkins and Rob Singer have been outstanding and they have bright futures ahead of them.”

It is a local derby on Tuesday against Feckenham, so what are Danny's thoughts on the game?
“It is a massive game not only because it is a local derby, but both teams are fighting for that top three. I think it will be really close come the end of the season for Northfield, Boldmere and Knowle will all be in the mix as well, as we all chase Solihull. 
I am confident we can beat Feckenham on Tuesday, but I am sure they feel exactly the same about beating us. On our day we can beat anyone in this league and I am confident we would also hold our own against a few teams in the league above, evidenced by our wins over Chelmsley and GNP Sports.” 
How does Danny see the game on Tuesday and how will Stratford approach it?
“That is a question only the management team can answer. We will set up and play how they want us to. What I will say is that we have variations to our play that we can easily adapt to in relation to the opposition and the game itself. 
We like to play through the thirds, creating overloads in order to play through the opposition. We can also vary the play in terms of stretching the opponents, playing into good areas that ask questions and cause problems. 
We have versatile players who allow us to change systems and formations quite easily. Decision making on Tuesday night will be crucial for both teams, players recognising when to be patient and retain possession, also recognising when to play forwards and exploit space. 
I think the main element that will decide the result is how many players perform individually to their potential. If we have the majority of our side playing 9/10 we will be fine but if we have too many average performances then Feckenham could hurt us.”
What does Danny make of Feckenham’s performance so far this season?
“The table does not lie and they are doing extremely well and will be pushing for the promotion places right up until the end of the season. They have some good players who I rate highly; the likes of Ryan Young, Jak Albutt, Billy Garvey, Ben Ellicott and Jake Donnelly are among the best players in the division in my opinion. 
I also think they have been quite fortunate with the signings they have made. The signing of players has been really competitive during the last few seasons and I found that Alcester, Feckenham, Redditch, Littleton and Pershore have always competed for the same players. 
Littleton and Pershore have obviously left the Midland Combination, and Redditch have not managed to keep their side together. Alcester have changed management and do not have many local players in their side anymore, so things have worked out really well for Feckenham.”

Danny used to play for Feckenham many years ago, so how does he feel the club has changed since his time there?
"Feckenham was my first adult Football team and I signed when I was 16. I really enjoyed my time there and I played with some great players, players I like to call ‘proper’ players. I learnt a lot from the likes of Stuart Hall, Adam Hill, Robbie Agar and Burkie. They were leaders on the pitch, something I feel is lacking in the game today. 
We had some exciting young players such as Robbie Bunn, Jordan Jones and Joe Adams. We always competed against the bigger teams but never achieved the aim of getting out of Division Two. I admire the job that Aaron has done at Feckenham; he has modernised the club in terms of the Youth links and the Reserves. 
Feckenham has progressed so much off the pitch in relation to its structure too and Aaron has been the driving force behind that. Tatts has been an outstanding servant to the club I am delighted that he is still involved; I will always see him as Mr Feckenham. 
I would say it is time that Feckenham got out of this division (if they can facilitate the ground requirements) for they have been in this league for far too long in my opinion. This season could be their season but obviously we will be trying to stop that from happening.”
There are loads of games left to play still, but has Danny thought about his plans for next season?
“I am going to enjoy playing this season and make the most of it but I will be looking to manage again next season. Everyone says you should make the most of playing whilst you can and I understand and respect that. I really enjoyed playing when I was in my early 20’s, I felt fit and sharp and felt like I could influence the game. 
However, I would say the influence I have now is very limited and I just don’t feel like I can impact a game as much. My passion is for coaching and managing, my ambition is to develop and progress and I definitely have the ability to do that. 
I really enjoyed coaching Studley's First Team, it was a good experience working in that environment with players who have played at a good level. I have had a few coaching offers but I think a manager should coach their team, they can project their philosophy and their intent. 
I definitely miss coaching my own players and having ownership over how the team plays. I am happy that I took a break in order to play and reflect, but I am ready to return and run a team the way I think it should be run. It all depends on the club and what becomes available, we will see what happens.
If nothing comes up that I think is an exciting project then I will assess my options.”

Thanks to Danny for penning this 
compelling article...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.