Tuesday 21 January 2020

THE TWISTED SALT CELLAR & THE PUMPKIN, BEETROOT & BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP: A NEW POEM...

The Twisted Salt Cellar & The Pumpkin, Beetroot & Butternut Squash Soup… 

I sat in the deli and gazed into the soup,
The rock salt cellar lurked nearby;
I picked it up and investigated its use
But my cool demeanour soon turned awry…

I was expected to twist the robust container
So that the crushed rock salt would fall
Into my hot and virgin soup
Which seemed not a problem at all…

However, as I gave the chunky cellar a twist
The bottom half simply unscrewed
 Then fell with a plop deep into the soup
And my countenance with shock was imbued…

No pike, no tuck, no somersaults,
Just a plain and simple dive
With a twist of course but a poor entry
And the soup had suddenly come alive… 

The orange concoction spurted onto my scarf,
Across the table, even onto my jeans;
Salt crystals flew like shrapnel across the floor
And bounced up like jumping beans…

Spectacular it was and hot soup burned my hand,
I seemed traumatised and unable to react
But help was on hand to clear up the mess,
Which when trodden upon loudly cracked…

The pumpkin, beetroot and butternut squash soup
Had come to a sorry demise
But the chaotic scene is to be entered
For the 2020 Turner Art Prize…

Pete Ray
January 2020

This happened in Mousehole’s Hole Foods Deli…

The staff replaced my soup and wouldn’t charge me for it…





  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.