Thursday 22 June 2017

BIFURCATED RIVETS...

Bifurcated Rivets

It languished, ageing, rusting perceptibly
Upon an antiques centre’s chair
And yet it caught my eye,
Not only for its imperfections
But because of its label which drew me in, imperceptibly:
A tin, for rivets, known as bifurcated…
Twin-forked, self-piercing like sharpened molars
And used as the lid’s instructions indicated;
Forced by a crimping punch,
Hammered smooth then on leather,
Plywood, plastics, or fibre and fixed with a crunch;
Stronger than stitches in packing cases exported
Yet reminiscent of paper fasteners, I wryly contemplated… 

Pete Ray
June 2017

Spotted at Fabulous Finds Antiques, 11 The Arden Centre, Little Alne, B95 6HW…

Simply had to find out what the curious tin had once contained… 
One would apparently use rivets 1/16 inch longer than the thickness of hard leather, whilst using rivets 1/8 inch longer than the thickness of spongy leather…

There, I’ve said it all…


Reminded me of the forked fasteners from folders and files when I was at school… 

THE TIN...

INSTRUCTIONS...

I LIKED THESE, AS A KID...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.