Thursday 29 June 2017

ROLLER HOCKEY AS A KID...

Getting My Skates On

Just nine or ten years old I guess
And a need to escape from home restrictions;
Slick rubber wheels aching to roll,
Despite the delay and the stress 
Of attaching leather toe-guards to plimsoll laces
Then tightening straps to increase the ankle constriction…

My oiled cricket bat and a tennis ball
Substituted for a hockey puck and stick;
Gliding across a pavement rink,
Skinned knees fearing a sudden fall,
I evaded imaginary NHL ice-hockey aces
Then shot past an invisible goalminder with a penalty-flick… 

Pete Ray
June 2017

For a short time as a kid, I used a small area of tarmac near the pavement round the corner from my house in Nearmoor Road, Shard End, Birmingham as a kind of roller-hockey rink.
Alone…

I used my cricket bat and a worn tennis ball to handle as I skated about…

I pictured that very same ‘rink’ just a couple of days ago…


Memories…

MY RINK...

SIMILAR SKATES TO MINE WHICH WERE SADLY GIVEN AWAY BY MY DAD...

MY ORIGINAL CRICKET BAT WHICH I STILL HAVE...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.