Saturday 3 June 2017

GROWING UP IN BIRMINGHAM BUT UNDER PARENTAL CONTROL...

Growing Up Controlled…

Unquestioning automation,
Dulled to military regimentation;
The rising, the bitterly cold room,
The scant washing, the dressing in winter’s gloom,
The meagre breakfast, the trudge to a ‘bus,
The repetition, the drudge without fuss;
The acceptance of parental domination,
Resigned to an avoidance of confrontation.

The wary eyes, the abject fear
The orders barked, the silent tear;
The instructions spoken, no advantage taken, 
The growing up, all joy forsaken;
Never inquisitive, just total obedience,
“Do as you’re told…” but never resistance,
The red-faced shrinking and being terribly shy;
Unquestioning, frightened, my controlled mind awry…

Pete Ray
May 2017

Growing up… 

I was expected to do as I was told…
And I never questioned it, or answered back.

My father controlled the family.
My mother quietly acquiesced.

I was just plain scared much of the time and became a creature of accepting habit… 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.