Saturday 24 June 2017

SANTA MARIA IN ORGANO: FLAMES...

Flames In Organo

Stepping into an expected austerity,
A pervading stillness
And uneasy peace, my confidence ruffled;
A sense of belonging escaped me,
The cold ceremonial antiquity muffled
As I gaped, motionless
At magnificent carvings,
Inlaid marquetry and wonderful carpentry
By Fra Giovanni, created over a quarter-century
Which dazzled, beguiled and baffled…

Stepping down into a sullen, dank crypt,
An overriding simplicity
And undue unease my presence befuddled;
A tense dawning then gripped me,
For a simmer of flames huddled
As I gazed, witless
At partial wall-paintings,
Portraying imagery and warning humanity
Of Hell’s fate, invented in a medieval century
Which amazed, intrigued but addled…

Pete Ray
June 2017

Santa Maria in Organo church, Verona…


Incredible carving by Giovanni was the highlight inside the church, as well as two signs displaying where the 1882 flood reached and the crypt’s faded wall-paintings which certainly included Hell’s flames…




FRA GIOVANNI...

...HIS FINAL WORK...

REMARKABLE...

THE ARENA...

CRYPT ALTAR...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.