Saturday 10 November 2018

TWO OF MY WORLD WAR 1 POEMS: DREAMING THE TRENCH AND JUST LIKE ME...

Dreaming The Trench

I see claws on rats.
Vicious, digging into the 
Handless forearm
Of an unsuspecting sentry
Whose body had disintegrated before me
Like a dream, forgotten in the morning.
He had been lighting a cigarette
When a shell illuminated
The horror, the spectacular,
The deafening murder,
Beneath a sergeant’s temporary canvas awning.

I see teeth on rats.
Vicious, digging into the
Clammy flesh
Of a bleeding forearm;
Bones splintered in mud before me,
Like wood shavings beneath my father’s plane.
I had been writing a lover’s letter
When the explosion rocked
The trench, the peace,
The rotting carnage,
Beneath the Belgian, drenching, persistent rain.

I see eyes on rats.
Vicious, digging into the
Oozing hole
Of my bleeding throat;
Wire tangled tight around me,
Like thorns of a nettle’s shroud.
I was remembering kisses
When the machine gun racked
The advance, the foolishness,
The incomprehensible suicide,
Beneath this weakening, beckoning, darkening cloud…


Pete Ray
MATERNAL GRANDFATHER (SEATED ON CHAIR, CENTRE).
SURVIVED THE WAR...

Just Like Me

Skidding feet went first,
Caked boots scraping upon stones,
Gouging at mud
And channelling through awful debris;
Then downwards over a ledge,
 Being propelled into a hole
With a thud…

Gripping with hands taut.
Stretcher sliding ‘neath snapped bones,
Spilling his blood
And scattering him in dreadful chaos;
Then silence, nerves on edge.
 Being shelled in the frightful hell
Of a flood…

And then I saw them:
Huns, thankfully dead;
Yet neither wore a brush
Upon a square-jawed head.
And neither was a weakling,
Blinking secretive eyes
Behind cartoon spectacles;
For to my surprise,
Both of them, conscripts
As far as I could see,
Were my age and my complexion
And might easily have been
Me…

Pete Ray

Just the thought of being a new recruit in World War I, bearing a stretcher, skidding like a baseball batter getting to a base, slithering into a shell-hole and spilling an injured man, but noticing two dead German soldiers. 
They were not as depicted in newspapers and propaganda but were actually just like me...

PATERNAL GRANDFATHER.
SURVIVED THE WAR...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.