Tuesday 10 November 2020

'GLORIOUS: THE BELTIES & THE MUD...'

 Glorious: The Belties & The Mud…



There was clearly interest in my gaze

Over the field’s metallic gate,

From the herd of Belties dotted around,

Seemingly comatose, in a doze,

Resigned to their livestock fate, 

In thick black mud softening the ground…


There was interest in their apparent stare,

Across the field’s sucking mire,

As individual Belties stood their ground,

Seemingly transfixed, in awe,

Confined in their ambivalent ire,

In the deep black mud lying all around…


And I had an uncomfortable feeling of being hypnotised 

As we eyed each other and soon became wary,

For I felt like I was being mentally analysed 

By these black and white cattle, woolly and hairy;

Thus their invasive eye contact disturbed,

Distracted, unnerved and perturbed

Me, as I surveyed their enclosure dire,

Where cloven hooves sank in black, deep mire… 



Pete Ray

November 2020


My favourite cattle, Belted Galloways in a field near to my home…




Love them to bits, despite the looks they often give me…




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.