Sunday 15 November 2020

NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL JARGON EXPLAINED: 1: THE FALSE 9 IN THE HOLE...

 Non-League Football Jargon Explained:

1: ‘The False 9 In The Hole’



I was the centre-forward,

The main striker, but the manager’s approach

Was rather curious for a soccer coach:

He wanted to confuse the opposition

And prevaricate,

So he told me that I was be ‘the false 9’

And handed me shirt number 8…


He said that he wanted me ‘in the hole’,

So I scanned the pitch for a dip of some kind,

Something dug out by an indiscriminate mole,

Or a sett that a badger had left behind;

But it took a while for the skipper to confide

That I should lurk behind the offense and secretly hide… 



Pete Ray

August 2020




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.