Thursday 4 January 2018

ROCK, NORTH CORNWALL, 1963 & 2008: A POEM...

Rock, in North Cornwall…
1963

It was the silence,
Like I had returned 
From death
To retrace my boyhood steps, 
On soft sand and pale dunes;
The undulating bed
Of the River Camel’s estuary
Disguised the channel’s depths.

It was the essence,
Like I had grasped 
From memory
To recover my childhood joy,
On drifting sand and marram grass;
The menacing current
Of the eerie shifting waters,
Disguised a clever ploy.

It was the absence,
Like I had desired 
From truth
To retrieve my boyhood innocence
On yielding sand and shallow tide;
The unrelenting ebbing
Of the waterway’s languid shuttles,
Disguised my mind’s ambivalence.

Pete Ray

2008






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.