Friday 11 December 2020

'NEWLYN QUAYSIDE HAZE', MY POEM FROM JENNY AITKEN'S PAINTING...

 Newlyn Quayside Haze

(from Jenny Aitken’s painting…) 



A cornsilk ocean gleam lies broken

By baulks of weathered granite wall,

Which caress the harbour protectively,

Muffled by a morning sun’s mottled haze;

And the old quay still struts,

Reminding of the headier days

Of its legacy and stubbornly juts

One fractured arm to console seductively

The hulks and skeletal vessels forsaken,

Their seagoing days cruelly overtaken

By newer craft, moored in a pallid Newlyn haze…


That shady inner harbour wall remains

One of the landmarks to which I am endeared,

For its historic heritage still retains

A fascination towards which my soul is steered…  


Pete Ray

December 2020


I love that wall.


It draws me in.


I could weep for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.