Monday 7 June 2021

SCATTERING THUNDER...

 Scattering Thunder…



Clammy maroon cloud, tinged with grey

Almost inconspicuously edged out a bright

Sunday evening in early June.

I saw no-one.

I heard no-one.

I parked up and walked, as drops

Of warm rain fell upon the lane.

The environ was bereft of movement,

Silent, yet occasionally stirred by birdsong,

Or the gentle rustle of a faint breeze.


Canopies of branches and leaves, awry

Almost fortuitously sheltered me from sight.

Sundry geese honked out of tune.

I felt tense.

I was tense.

I scattered peanuts in the copse

And through my inertia I felt the strain,

Immobile in the badgers’ environment.

Vigilant, they encroached and foraged along

Their trail, worn bare between the trees.


A flash.

Thunder.

The clan made a dash, 

Their comfort torn asunder.

Gone.

In wonder,

I hurried away, alone,

With video footage my plunder…


Pete Ray

7th June 2021



The mild storm cut my watching short but witnessing the clan feeding on the peanuts I had scattered was a joy…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.