Tuesday 6 June 2023

50 YEARS AGO TODAY... (Passing my driving test...)

 I had bought a car for £250, a Ford Anglia, rather like the one from the Harry Potter films. I took no driving lessons at all but the car stayed on my future sister-in-law Josie’s drive, next door to my future mother-in-law’s house in Erdington, Birmingham. 



Josie’s husband Barry went out with me a few times, as did her older brother Roly, an ex-Aston Villa reserve player, who is still 9th on Hereford United’s all-time scoring list.


However, Roly was harsh and took me driving along Witton Road, near Villa Park which always had parked vehicles on each side of it and buses running both ways along it. I hated that route, having to negotiate stopping, starting and squeezing between the parked vehicles.


50 years ago today…


I took my driving test on June 6th 1973 in my Ford Anglia, NAC 759 F and there was no chance of me passing it. I had never completed a turn in the road at all whilst practising and reversing round a corner was a real problem. However, I did drive a little with my father too when the test was nigh, which of course helped me not at all.


The test I took was a late afternoon event, the test centre was on the same row of shops as my dad’s insurance office and he waited there with Jenny, my girlfriend while I took the test, both having travelled to the centre in the car with me. 


As the examiner and I left the office, there was one vehicle parked outside in a bay and the rather stern chap stopped me to ask me to read the number plate of “…that car…” which he pointed at. 


“Which car?” I replied with typical good humour but the fellow simply pointed harder and retorted with some annoyance, “THAT one…” I read it to him as my heart sank. The chap was Mr Miserable…


My car was lurking round the corner in Mickleover Road and we got in silently. I pulled on my seat belt and invited him to do the same but he refused the offer. I was astounded…


In those days one had to do a section of the test using hand signals but after I had reversed around a corner surprisingly successfully, he then told me to use hand signals. He asked me to stop and do a turn in the road, which threw me totally because I was still using hand signals. He told me to carry on using them and I was thus confused and panicky.


Incredibly, despite the handicap, I realised that I had turned the car without mishap and knew that only an emergency stop and a hill start were left to do. 


The examiner finally slapped his hands on the dashboard to signify an emergency stop and I obliged but his arms thumped against my windscreen and I grinned, recalling asking him earlier whether he wished to use a seat-belt…


The hill start took place on Bromford Road, close to where my kids would later attend Bromford Infant and Junior Schools, later to be renamed Hodge Hill Primary School. I managed that and by the time I was returning to Mickleover Road, I realised that I had actually driven better than I had ever driven before, although I was still not confident that I would pass my test.


When I parked up, the examiner asked me several questions about my car and then about the Highway Code, before staring at his clipboard and saying in a dismissive, gruff voice, “I’m pleased to say that you have passed your test…”, before asking for a signature and exiting my car.


I couldn’t believe it… I just sat there. I was a qualified driver, thanks to hand signals, I guess…



I started my Anglia, drove round the corner and drew up in front of my dad’s office where he and Jenny simply stared at me in disbelief, realising that I had been a successful candidate. 


I drove them back to my parents’ house in Nearmoor Road and ate dinner there… 


Strange day…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.