Monday 12 June 2023

THE STORM APPROACHES BUT THE BADGERS CONTINUE TO FORAGE... (A thunderstorm approaches Temple Balsall...)

 The Storm Approaches But The Badgers Continue To Forage…



A sultry afternoon accompanied my drive 

To Temple Balsall, as I headed into thickening banks 

Of grim and grey cloud but on exiting my car,

A wind blustered, mustering gushes into the tall trees

And bending spindly plants and weeds, which appeared flimsily arched.


Carefully scattered food enticed six badgers to contrive

To disregard the unexpected gusts and their ranks

Foraged on regardless, as thunder rumbled from afar.

I watched, fascinated, although with some unease

As lightning flashed its warning of rain upon a terrain sun-parched.


I tarried, I hovered, the badgers lingered to strive

To consume what they could, I guess a kind of thanks;

But soon rain fell from within the storm’s now thunderous roar

And I shook a small bag quietly, which prompted the badgers to freeze

Then rush into their setts, leaving my reputation quite besmirched…  



Pete Ray

11th June 2023   


Such a sudden change in the warm, sultry weather happened as I arrived to feed Temple Balsall’s badgers.


Despite the loud and gusting, swirling wind, they fed unconcerned and even the thunder which became louder and louder, barely disturbed the mammals.



I knew I had to escape and get back to my car and so I gently shook a small plastic bag which contained my camera, unusable in the poor light.


Inevitably, the badgers took my cue and disappeared, allowing me to do the same, moments before rain began to fall loudly and heavily…  


Thunder, sheep bleating and aircraft descending to land at Birmingham Airport don’t seem to bother the brocks, but a gentle shake of a bag sends them scarpering… 


Life, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.