Tuesday 31 October 2017

THE CENTURION PETRONIUS FORTUNATUS... A POEM...

The Centurion Petronius Fortunatus

My name is Petronius Fortunatus, my rank? Centurion…
An old man now, an octogenarian…
One year for each Legionary under my command,
A Century, from which complete obedience I demand.

Thirteen legions I’ve served in my military career,
Decorated for valour, never harboured fear;
From Pannonia to Arabia, the Euphrates, Palestine,
To the Parthian Wars, York and the Rhine.

Yet during my formative army years,
I was promoted to Centurion by the votes of my peers;
From Librarius, I became the Watch N.C.O.,
Or Tesserarius, before my promotion to Optio.

I was Deputy Centurion in the 1st Legion Italica,
Then I was promoted to Centurion of the Sixth Legion Ferrata;
I followed Legate Adventus to the Parthian Wars,
Torques and phallerae for bravery were matters of course.

The neck-ring torques, to my cuirass were attached,
The small discs or phallerae to my strapped harness were lashed;
These visible signs of my valour ensured
That I gained the infantry’s respect and discipline was endured.

Marriage? Certainly! As a Centurion I was game!
Claudia Marcia Capitolina was my spouse’s name;
She bore our son, my name he was given
And to join the ranks, he was strongly driven.

However, his service caused me deep-seated pain,
For he was killed during the dangerous northern campaign;
He served with the 22nd Primigenia,
Then in Upper Germany with the 2nd Augusta…

I sit here with my memories, gnarled and alone,
My joints ache, my scars itch, I’m chilled to the bone;
Preparations for my burial have already been made,
In Algeria’s heat, beneath a cool, leafy glade.

My life has been long, varied and full,
My prayers usually answered by Mithras the Bull;
Tired, expiring, I lie back ‘neath a shield,
As my spirit drifts to the dead warriors’ field… 

Pete Ray


Centurion Petronius Fortunatus: a real person, who visited Britain on two occasions and a character I played the role of during my Museum teaching.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.