Thursday 22 February 2018

DAVE POULSON OF FC STRATFORD & SHAMIR ALAM OF GNP SPORTS REPORT ON THEIR RECENT CHALLENGE VASE TIE...

DAVE POULSON & SHAMIR ALAM, THE FC STRATFORD & GNP SPORTS MANAGERS, COMMENT ON THEIR CHALLENGE VASE TIE... 



“It’s difficult certainly right now but initially I think it was a great game. Both sides were an advert for Division 3 of this league, both teams have gone for it, there was no sitting back, nobody could be accused of sitting back, we have both absolutely gone for it. 

But I am bitterly disappointed; not so much even with the result, I think with a couple of decisions. Sham says to me afterwards he thinks the first one is a red card. I don't think it is; I think it’s a great tackle. I’ve not heard anyone except their bench, which I expect, say that it was a two-footed challenge. I think it looked like a block tackle and hopefully we’ll see that on video. Not that it makes any difference but I’m more disappointed that we’re going to lose a player for three games. The second red card was the referee’s call. I couldn’t see that, he was closer than me but the first one I saw clearly. 

I’m disappointed obviously, but also disappointed with myself because of getting involved afterwards; there were a few words but when you’re expected to be smiling straight after the game and you get a few things said to you, you know?

Yes, so I’m disappointed with myself because I’m not like that.

Fair play to GNP; they’re a good side, their wingers are very good, hard to handle tonight, especially with the way we were playing; obviously we were quite open on our flanks but we played like that deliberately, higher up the pitch.

I’m disappointed but we can now focus a bit more on the league but at the end of the day they’ll win the league; it’s as simple as that. I don't think there are enough teams in the division to stop them and they would have to have an absolute shocker not to win it. I fully expect them to win it, looking at their quality tonight, as well…

Our aim at the start of the season was promotion; a lot of people talked because we banged in a few goals early, yet I kept my feet firmly on the ground. Promotion was our aim and that still is our aim. We showed plenty of fight tonight, showed some battle and heart and were in the game. We were good for the last ten minutes in the first-half, they were on top of us in that middle period of the first-half. I thought we were on top towards the end and we got the goal.








The second-half was one of those…

I’d actually like to comment about young Archie Donaldson. He’s 17 years old, an outstanding ‘keeper and he made some outstanding saves to keep the score down. I’m pleased for him and I think he’ll play at a higher level. I’ve always said that to him and we’ll give him the chance to. He’s over there, look at him now, he’ll be very disappointed… We tell him every week, he’s an outstanding young lad, so no fears there.


I’m a bit gutted about my own reaction, I’m normally better than that; getting involved because of the emotion of the sendings-off, more than the actual result. I feel more hard done by by that than the result. Fair play to GNP, they deserved it on the night and good luck to them in the Final…”

DAVE POULSON, 
FC STRATFORD...



“Everyone at the club would first of all like to wish a speedy recovery to our Joss Holford who suffered a nasty injury on Tuesday. We won’t know the full extent of his injury until next week, however he knows he has my full support and also the club’s and we will help him do what it takes to get him playing again. 

I thought the players were outstanding on Tuesday night; the information they were given on how FC Stratford would set up and how we could exploit them was followed excellently. The players managed the occasion well and after a 10-15 minute spell from FC at the start of both halves we were the better side. 

We were the only side who looked like scoring in every attack and we played on the front foot. The goals we scored were during important times of the game and I would much rather manage a side that is relentless in front of goal than one that keeps the ball with no conviction.

I know a lot has been made of the red cards and of course they changed the game but more fool FC for their players letting the occasion get to them and losing their heads in key times during the game. 

It’s no coincidence that we have had 6 players sent off against us already this season and we still have 14 games to play. I’m just pleased that MFL referees are aware of this and protecting my players.

The desire of the boys without the ball was fantastic to come away from FC’s ground with our ‘keeper making just the one save, despite them being bold and brave and going three up top, with Gifford and Stokes in the side, which shows there is no team that can or will outwork us! 

I mean no disrespect when I say this but we all can see a GNP versus Alcester Town Vase Final in May, so we wish Alcester Town all the best on Saturday versus Coventrians and we look forward to seeing them on Cup Final day!

The M.O.M. award against FC Stratford goes to Luke Swinnerton… I know he’s been a bit disappointed to be in and out of the team recently but he was asked to do a job which was alien to him on Tuesday but without any reservations or complaints he performed very well and our gamble paid off…”

SHAMIR ALAM, 
GNP SPORTS…



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.