Monday 30 March 2020

AN UPDATE FROM AFC BINLEY MANAGER EDWIN GREAVES...

"In the troubled times that we find ourselves today, it's so easy to forget that football is just a game.

I find myself at the ripe old age of 57 and I cannot remember my life without football in it. I played the game that we all love as a child, then grew up to watch Coventry City and later moved into club management. Hopefully I have encouraged my teams to entertain in the best way they could.

We cannot escape the fact that people are dying every day from an enemy that we cannot see and this has obviously affected so many of us up and down the country in a way that I for one have never experienced in my lifetime. I hope that I never have to experience it again.

With plenty of time now on my hands I have realised how much football really is part of my life and for numerous others up and down the country too. Whether playing it, watching it, or just being involved as a volunteer who gives up their  time for free, they, like me must all be missing this beautiful game.

Rightly, football and everyday life as we know it has been shut down. For me, safety comes 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

We are uncertain about so many things football-related now but for me the burning question is when can we play football again?

I personally don't see it being any time soon which is sad but it's the uncertainty of it all. However, it's a time to be patient and let the powers that be decide the way forward now with our wonderful game, as we are experiencing a problem which I honestly believe no-one currently has the answer to.

Football is at a standstill but do we finish this season? Or do we pretend this season never happened and remove it from the record books?

As each day goes by the more unlikely it is that this season will get completed which is a crying shame for all those clubs, chairmen, managers, players and supporters who have found themselves in those key promotion places with honours within their sight.

It seems that several non-league clubs up and down the country have had their fate decided and it doesn't look like it's been a positive outcome considering everything they have done on the pitch.

At the top level of our beautiful game, could anyone tell me that it doesn't matter to anyone connected to Liverpool about what happens to the remainder of the season?
EDWIN IN HAPPIER DAYS...

Remember though what we are going through now is a life and death situation and not something that has happened before in my lifetime but I would say that there should be rules in place for future events like this.

If teams up and down the country, like Liverpool, are not crowned champions, it makes no sense when clearly they are currently the best team in England.
I have heard people talking about points per game to decide things and it's as good an idea as any, for at least it's decided on results on the pitch.

Difficult times lie ahead for us all to deal with and the end is currently nowhere in sight.

Can I remind the powers that look after our fine game that difficult decisions need to made now; please don't ignore or punish the teams that have been successful this season.

If no rules are in place, they surely must act now so that if we find ourselves in a similar situation again, we will all know that any outcome is decided on the pitch.

One last message to all: look after your loved ones and keep yourselves safe...

We are dealing with a dangerous situation and football really is only a game...

I wouldn't swap any of my loved ones for 3 points, that's for sure...

Stay safe... "

Edwin Greaves, 
AFC Binley Manager... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.