Tuesday 31 March 2020

PIT PONIES AT PORT QUIN...

Pit Ponies At Port Quin...



Mist dampened my hair
As I stumbled upon
The two disused shafts,
A pair of abandoned mines,
Fenced, ringed, evacuated,
Swallowing murky draughts.

Fog deluded my perception
As I peered into
The sad derelict wells,
A brace of vacant workings,
Fortified, encircled, forsaken,
Gulping nebulous swells.

Gloom distorted my expectation
As I strolled onward;
The nine distant ponies,
A pair of distinctive hues,
Foraged, grazed, mesmerised,
Swallowing obsolete felonies.

Miasma deceived my eyes
As I followed blindly
The pit-ponies’ acceptance;
A brace of disparate souls
Filed, manacled, coerced,
Gulping subjugation’s deference.

Pete Ray

Port Quin, Cornwall and walking towards Epphaven, finding two fenced-off mining shafts and the wild ponies, two colours only. 

As I followed them on a single track, back towards the shafts, I felt almost like I was one of them, doomed to labour in appalling, lawbreaking conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.