Saturday 28 March 2020

THE COVID-19 DIARIES: EDITION 4...

Covid-19: Thoughts 4…

So 28th March has been reached and social rules have been tightened. Incredibly though, people in my road still haven’t received post from 18th-21st March, which of course includes Mother’s Day cards… The local postman, a fine fellow, has delivered some of this week’s items but he assured me that there was a stack of post still awaiting sorting. Let’s hope there aren’t important letters sitting in that pile which folks are desperately in need of…

We took a short walk yesterday which entailed zig-zagging across roads to avoid dog walkers, cyclists, parents with pushchairs, even a grown chap on a skateboard but interestingly, not one of those people made the first move to avoid being two metres or more from us… We were forced to cross roads every time.

A neighbour’s daughter has a boyfriend with a car but he has been at the house through some nights but not through others, which makes a mockery of what those following the rules are trying to achieve.

This morning I took a walk to my local shop to buy milk, an essential I would suggest but in doing so, I exchanged a ‘Times’ newspaper voucher for the first time since Monday. The others have all been wasted, except that at least the online version is obtainable to subscribers. Strangely, people who regularly buy a daily newspaper from the shop were apparently still strolling in each day for their essential newspaper, plus fags, presumably. 

A small blue Citroën car rushed passed me whilst I was walking, then raced past me again, leading me to believe that the driver’s daily exercise involved turning a wheel to work the arms and pressing foot pedals to benefit the legs.

A single-decker bus, totally empty passed me too and parked across the corner of a side-road, so that the driver could nip into the shop for an essential cold drink. Astonished, I stood and gaped, just as a truck delivering a skip passed by but that driver was texting and paying scant attention to the road ahead, which is actually plagued by humps…

And this was during just one, short, morning walk…

It occurred to me also that the only person I know whose life hasn’t really been affected by the new hibernation rules is the elderly lady next door. She never goes out anyway and is probably wondering what all the fuss is about…

MY CURRENT VIEW: NOT MUCH TO WRITE ABROAD ABOUT...



   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.