Friday 20 March 2020

PZ 17...

PZ 17

Just a simple wooden model,
A fishing boat, fashioned then sold
In Marazion, Cornwall…
Yet, it was the registration which took my eye:
‘PZ 17’ held me in its thrall
And I was influenced to buy:
Only then did a story begin to unfold…

The real PZ 17 was a lugger, ‘Peel Castle’,
Which worked out of Newlyn from 1932
But was built in Porthleven three years before,
 It fished from Brixham too, off the southern English shore; 
Naval service followed as a harbour patrol boat 
During the difficult times of World War Two;
Peel Castle was finally sold to reside at Skibbereen,
In Ireland, then rebuilt as a 3-masted lugger, 
So that its maritime life began anew, 
  Its lifestyle less daunting and more serene…

Just a simple wooden boat,
A model, created then sold
In Marazion, Cornwall
To me, for its rustic form held my gaze:
‘PZ 17’, my favourite number, is all
And I was committed to buy,
So then the heritage began to unfold…

Pete Ray
March 2020…






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.