Wednesday 1 April 2020

THE RAMPANT COCK OF LULWORTH COVE...

Wake-up Call

As I lay drowsy, cool breeze on my face,
So tough to relax in an unfamiliar place,
I was suddenly aware, certainly no dream,
Of an unenviable, throaty and piercing scream.
It came from beyond the hotel’s garden wall,
From the neck of a cockerel, its shrill morning call.
Red-headed, white-bodied, high-feathered black tail,
For the next four hours, its intermittent wail
Forced my eyebrows to twitch and my teeth to grind,
As my love of nature hid at the back of my mind…
It may have impressed its accompanying hen,
But I’ll flamin' kill it, if it wakes me again….

Pete Ray
12th August 2004

This grotesque creature made one night quite horrendous at Lulworth Cove. 


I was told that a local guy would rise at around 4am each morning, mainly to set the cock off, to the detriment of holidaymakers…





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.