Thursday 17 September 2020

STAITHES ATHLETIC v THORNABY DUBLINERS: THE MATCH PREVIEW...

This Saturday sees a first visit for me to a North Riding League game and because I am spending the week in a shepherd’s hut in Staithes, it seemed logical to catch the Staithes Athletic v Thornaby Dubliners encounter...



Staithes began the season with two defeats, first a 0-4 loss at Redcar Town, whose scorers were Carl Williams with a brace, Chris Peacock and James Swann. A home reverse v St Mary’s 1947 saw Chris Payne notch the Coblemen’s opening goal of the season but goals by Alex Jamieson, Michael McLaughlin and Paul Vaughan secured a 1-3 victory for the visitors.


On Wednesday, Staithes played a midweek match under floodlights at Redcar Town’s ground v Yarm & Eaglescliffe, which they lost by 0-4. The Eagles' scorers were Haani Rahman, Sean O'Brien, Charlie Brady & Matty Jenkinson. This leaves Staithes bottom of the division with a goal difference of -10... Yarm are top of the league now, although they have played four matches, whilst rivals Boro Rangers and Redcar Town have played fewer times.



Manager Gary Sivills commented on the season’s start:


“My aim for the team this season was the top 3, so you can imagine that the start I’ve had was not in my script at all…


However, we deserved to lose the first two games, which is disappointing. Poor decision making has cost us massively in both games but luckily we have just acquired a couple of new players who will bolster an already heavy squad with some quality.


Fingers crossed we can get on track as soon as possible…”



The Dubliners won their opening two matches with a 0-1 victory at Fishburn Park, where Charlie Raby netted the winner and then last Saturday, they secured a 4-1 home success v Grangetown Boys Club. Arran Brookbanks, Craig Linsel, Arran Newman and Raby scored the vital goals, whilst Daniel Maloney netted the consolation for Grangetown.


The Dubs currently lie 5th in the standings with games in hand over two of the teams above them...


Charlie Raby has kindly answered some questions about the Dubs for my blog and it was good of him to spend the time to email me… Thanks! 

CHARLIE RABY...



Charlie Raby (Thornaby Dubliners) kindly summed up his team’s progress through two matches this term:


“It’s been a vey good start for the lads, especially going to Fishburn and getting a win last week. We always struggle there because normally we catch a bus and have a night out in Whitby but obviously this year because of Covid, we went there solely for the game. The result could have gone either way but we managed to get the winner which I will claim even though it probably wouldn’t have gone in without a little touch off a defender!


Last Saturday we beat Grangetown who are always a tough team to play against but we came out of the blocks quickly and were on the front foot for the first half going in 3-0 ahead at the break. We coasted a bit in the second period, conceded a sloppy goal, then scored late on to make it 4-1. With two tough fixtures played the lads are ‘over the moon’ with the start.


Staithes are a very good side and it’s always a tough place to go. They have some very good players, including Sam Calvert who I played with briefly at Whitby. He’s very sharp and knows where the goal is. Connor Hood is one of the most technically gifted players I have played with, so although they lost their first two games and we’ve had two victories, I don’t think we can go into the game thinking it will be as easy as the opening two games’ results would say it might be.


Boro Rangers are favourites for the league as they have won it for the past few years. They’re a very good side who know how to win. Yarm and Eaglescliffe have had a very good pre-season and are very difficult to beat on their home pitch as it’s a small 3G surface and they use it very effectively. At the Dubs we have what I would say is one of the strongest squads we’ve had for years. The manager wants to play football the right way and hopefully we will be there or thereabouts come the business end of the season.


I’m the type of player who is either very good or not very effective at all, so although I’ve scored two goals in two games I’d probably say that I haven’t played as well as I would like to have done so far. I like to be a bit ‘out there’ and take risks and try things, so when they don’t come off, as you will probably see on Saturday, a lot of people don’t hide their frustrations with me. Mind you if I can keep scoring every week, but not playing brilliantly, I think I’d take that!


I’ve never been much of a goal scorer but I have scored one or two spectacular goals in a season but not many tap-ins! However, after starting the season with two from open play I’d like to say that hopefully I’ll get ten to fifteen, especially as I take the set pieces and I think the penalty taking duties are currently up for grabs!


All the lads in the team bring their own qualities but the standout player so far has been Stuart Dick our centre back and not just because he’s my best mate… Defensively we look solid with him alongside Russ Spence. Marcus Laing in midfield is always effective; he’s experienced and has played at a good level for fifteen years and he will tell you this if you give him a minute! One of our biggest attacking threats is Luke Duffy who has missed the opening two games but will be back on Saturday. He’s a very quick and direct winger who is exciting to watch. But lastly I must mention our number nine, Aaron Brookbanks for he was a pro at Lincoln fifteen years ago!”


The game on Saturday should be a good one and I hope the coverage on my blog themowdog.blogspot.co.uk will please both clubs. There will be video highlights with commentary, screenshots, images and a full match report...


Due to the slow speed of the wi-fi here, it is unlikely that the coverage will be completed until late on Monday when I'm back in Solihull, so please bear with me!


Pete Ray, ‘The Mowdog’…


THE ACCOMMODATION...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.