Saturday 22 October 2016

'SEALED IN: NEWLYN': A POEM...

Sealed In: Newlyn

Misted winter sunlight
Barely featured St Michael’s Mount
Between Newlyn’s protective arms,
From my vantage point:
A disused harbour elbow,
Its dereliction and overgrowth among its charms.

Grassy stone promontory,
No longer used for mooring
Near Newlyn’s landing stages,
From my vantage point:
An historic monument,
Its pride now weathered through the ages.

Surprised seal gaped,
Hardly in its habitat
In Newlyn harbour’s swell,
From my vantage point:
A fascinating appearance,
Its casualness casting its mesmerising spell.

Pete Ray
28th December 2006


A random seal poked its head out of the water in Newlyn harbour as I explored the sea-wall I had long admired. Finally I was able to walk the length of it. Unexpectedly.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.