Monday 13 April 2020

'KICK IT IN THE HEAD': WHY I BECAME FOND OF BADGERS...

Prologue:

My son had asked me whether I had ever been bothered by a dog whilst jogging and I told him that a vile creature had raced across a road at me a few years before. It had been me, or it; my thigh, or its jaw. 
My left-footed, venomous volley hit home and the mutt flew, twisted and landed in the road, before wailing as it disappeared. A chap working in his garden applauded me, saying that the dog was always chasing people, barking at them and biting. 
I felt fine about that. 
Weeks later, I had a dream...

Kick It In the Head...

I puzzled: where had I parked my car?
Panic set in but I couldn’t remember,
Or even pinpoint where we actually were,
On that damp, dank afternoon in December.
My son, also damp and dank, added to by cloying mud,
Became incredulous and tarried behind,
As I wrenched my head to right and left
But that vehicle I simply couldn’t find.

The lad stood dripping from rain and slime,
After his latest hated rugby game;
School-bag hanging on drooping shoulder,
For his demise, I would be taking the blame... 
The pavement was separated from the road,
By a grass verge and a small, green hedge
But when I turned again to cajole the laggard,
My teeth were suddenly on edge...

From a break in the privet, the animal sprang
At my son’s socks-down, left thigh;
A badger, brawny, with awesome power attacked,
Its jaw wide, as its haunches flew by.
My reaction was to yell at the startled lad, 
As I awoke and sat bolt upright in bed,
Emerging from the awful nightmare, bellowing:
“KICK IT IN THE HEAD...”

HMM...


Pete Ray

The above story is true, I have become too fond of badgers and my hand-puppet The Bodging travels most places with me. He was particularly pleased to visit the home of The Badgers FC, to watch them lose to the higher ranked Littleton in a Charity Cup competition.
AT FC BARCELONA...

INSIDE FC BARCELONA'S DRESSING ROOM.
HE CAUSED SOME PUZZLEMENT ON THAT DAY...

It’s what he does…
AT HANLEY TOWN FC...

WITH EDWIN GREAVES, FOLLOWING ONE OF COVENTRY UNITED'S LEAGUE TRIUMPHS...

BEFORE A CUP FINAL WITH GNP SPORTS...

AT WEMBLEY TO SEE THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS DEFEAT THE DETROIT LIONS...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.